A Weblog Chronicle

3/29/2009

Spring Break

We enjoyed a number of adventures this past week, determined to get out and enjoy Oregon's natural beauties despite the rain and our sniffling noses. Here are a few highlights.


First, we headed over to the Ankeny Hill National Wildlife Refuge. We saw a number of bird species, including Peregrine Falcons, American Coots, Hooded Mergansers, Mallards, Red-Winged Blackbirds, and about a thousand Northern Shoveller(s).


Maeby slept through most of the day's activities, although she did wake up for a bit during our nature walk.
Next, we spent a day at the coast, exploring areas south of Newport for once, including Waldport, Perpetua Point, and Seal Rock.

Here we are at the Heceta Head Lighthouse State Park - Maeby enjoyed having her feet in the sand. And she was awake for the ritual this time - a bonus!

Jenn's thinking: "What a nice lady to volunteer to take our picture!" Jer's thinking: "She better not drop my camera. Or run off with it." Maeby's thinking: "It's windy, guys. Come on!"


Heceta Head.






We discovered this colony of Harbor Seals sun-bathing at a place called Strawberry Hill. I had to maneuver through 100 yards of tide pools, including a perilous leap from slippery rock to slippery rock, to get close enough for this shot (and about 200 others - all on Flickr if you're interested) - but it was worth it.


Jenn's Grandma sent us this carrier. It's fantastic. Hat not included.




I love that you can see how bald I'm getting, here. Wait - is "love" the right word?


She loves having her tummy eaten.
We saw dozens of migrating Whales through our binoculars (it's peak season right now) - but unfortunately they were too far away to capture with my 250 mm lens.
Finally - our rained-out excursion to Silver Creek Falls. We only stayed for about a half hour, before heading resignedly, and drenched, back home.
To keep her dry - we brought along Maeby's snowsuit. She stayed warm and comfortable the whole time. We . . . were not so fortunate.
South Falls: the only hike we went on. I had ambitions to do the trail of 10 Falls - but I think that will have to wait for warmer weather.
Jenn and Maeby under the South Falls (if you've never been to Silver Creek - you owe yourself a trip.)

4 comments:

JuddE said...

Looks like you guys had a great Spring Break! Maeby is adorable as usual ^_^

Jon and Meghan + boys said...

These photos are so great! I'm jealous of all the green and rain and water. Maeby is a doll... getting so big! And, of course I love to see you use the blanket I crocheted! Love you guys!

Sarah said...

Hey! We've been to Silver Creek Falls! The only one we visited was the same waterfall you went to cuz it was SO COLD! Did you get any neat pictures of the stone staircase? I loved that it was covered in greenery.

Paula said...

wow, that looks so pretty. Those pics are very cool, I especially love the ones of the trees.

Contributors